A start-up ebook club called Discover A New Love has been getting lots of press thanks to their business model. The Web-based company is taking the traditional print book club model online by giving readers a free ebook every month for a low fee: just $9.99 every six months.
The ebook club is owned by Sourcebooks, Inc., which is an independent publishing company that recently started publishing romance books. All told, they’ve published titles from 150 romance writers including Catherine Mann and Grace Burrowes.
- One free eBook download per month “chosen from one of our four featured selections” for an average price of $1.67 per book.
- Savings of 40% off regular list price on all eBooks on the site.
- Presales that will give members early access to some romance titles a month before they’re published to the public.
- Access to monthly online members-only parties celebrating each month’s featured authors, hosted by Barbara Vey.
- Membership in the site’s online community for the romance genre, complete with readers, authors, and editors.
Interestingly, the books purchased or downloaded from Discover A New Love won’t have digital rights management. That means readers can easily load them on Kindles, Nooks and other ereaders.
“Discover a New Love is a new model built directly in response to what we’ve heard from authors, agents and readers,” Dominique Raccah, chief executive officer, publisher and founder of Sourcebooks told the Chicago Sun-Times. “If we locked the book club into one particular online platform or one retailer or one e-reader device, that wouldn’t make our customers very happy.”